[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 16:35:38 MDT 2009

I'll second that idea!

Alan Eder

-----Original Message-----
From: Albert Picknell <agghubii at yahoo.ca>
To: caut at ptg.org
Sent: Thu, Oct 1, 2009 1:06 pm
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

How about restringing a piano, replacing and/or reconditioning some agraffes, and leaving some as is?  Alternating notes, perhaps?

Albert

From: PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com <PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com>
To: caut at ptg.org

In a message dated 10/1/2009 11:40:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time, dporritt at mail.smu.edu writes:

I’d be interested in how you are evaluating these improvements.  If you remove a noisy agraffe from a piano to polish and improve it, you are also putting on new strings.  How do you separate the one improvement from the other?  I did restring the agraffe sections of a piano earlier this year for just this purpose (i.e. there was nothing wrong with the strings, it was the agraffes that needed to be replaced).  The improvement was very noticeable though I didn’t do anything to the new agraffes.  I don’t know how I would evaluate the difference between a new agraffe and new-and-highly-refined agraffe.

David:

This is a research design question that we have been pondering for a good20long while. David Carpenter is working with me to see whether we can come up with a suitable measurement system that controls the variables.

http://mail.yahoo.com