[CAUT] fulcrum of a key

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 2 19:07:34 MDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Don Mannino wrote:

> So, perhaps the central issue of your topic is: Is it desirable for
> the
> rotational axis of the key to move fore and aft during play?  Now
> that's
> a question.

	I guess that if we do the split punching thing, we reduce the
movement (toward the player, "backward") of the fulcrum, and make it
more precisely in one spot, especially if we cut it in half at the
middle of the hole. When we do that, we put the fulcrum right at the
center of the pin/hole. So that would seem like it might cause a
fairly large difference in performance. Of course, when we do this, we
are doing it for a different reason, shifting the ratio as a whole to
reduce DW, so it is hard to tease out what part of the change we might
be feeling.

> As for the firmness of the balance punching, well, yes, harder is
> better
> for the touch.  I think we'd all like the precision of metal washers
> under there, but between the noise and the damage to the pianist's
> tendons, I think we prefer to live with the vagueness of nice firm
> bushing cloth.

Hmm, if it were really firm, as in metal washer (supposing we could
make it noise free), wouldn't the fulcrum be pretty precisely set at
the lip of the washer toward the front of the key, meaning that we
would have "more or less precision" and no movement of the axis. With
spongy cloth, when the key is first depressed, we could say the axis
is at about the middle of the balance pin, while the felt is first
being compressed. But then it rolls forward along the felt and perhaps
ends up near the front of the felt. Firmer felt would be closer to the
metal washer. Which is better? That's one question.
	Another question, and one I was trying to get at, was having to do
with the ability to analyze an action geometrically. When I have tried
to measure all the lever arms (key, wipp, and shank) and do the fairly
simple multiplication and division, I have come up with a ratio that
is a good bit different from what I get with measurement of dip versus
hammer rise, or of variation by weight (adding a known weight to the
hammer and measuring how much heavier BW is at the front of the key).
So I'm thinking that some point in back of the balance hole should
probably be used when calculating the key ratio for this purpose.
Maybe it should be as far as the edge of the punching.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu