[CAUT] Young Chang & Weber Grands: Action Clicking/Knocking Upon Quick Key Release

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Sun Oct 4 01:05:19 MDT 2009

I am now responsible for servicing three 1997 Weber grands at Howard U,
ranging in size from the 4¹11² WG-50 to WG-57 (5¹7²) and WG-60 (6¹1²).
These three are now in pretty good shape overall, but need regulation.
There are others on campus I haven¹t seen yet, but have heard they¹re in bad
shape.

Tonight I went to a hotel which is a private client of mine and re-visited a
5¹2² Young Chang G-157 for the first time in quite a long while.  I was
struck by the similarities -- same problems I¹m having with the Webers,
which my research had told me were made by Young Chang in Inchon, South
Korea.

All these pianos have a ³noisy² action!  At first I thought it might be worn
key bushings or loose wippen or hammer flange screws.  But I¹ve now taken
the time to eliminate the key and the flanges.  The noise appears to be
either (1) the repetition or jack hitting the knuckle; or (2) the jack
regulating button hitting the stop.  The knocking/clicking occurs when any
key is released quickly, but not even necessarily all the way up.  I believe
it happens when the key is released enough to let the jack return.  I¹m now
wondering if a third possibility is the spring in the little hole of the
jack?  If so, what¹s the fix?

Please, this is driving me crazy!  As a pianist and technician, I want to
understand what¹s happening here, and this is frustrating me.  I believe
these pianos can be regulated to make them a lot better, satisfactory
practice instruments, but before I waste a lot of time, I¹m wondering if
this problem is somehow endemic to these instruments?  Can this noise on
every key be alleviated?  Does it have anything to do with aluminum rails?
HELP!

Thanks,
Paul
--