[CAUT] Goldberg Variations report

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Mon Oct 5 10:33:01 MDT 2009

All,

A belated thank you to everyone who responded to my question on what
temperament to use for the Goldberg Variations. The variations were
performed by two faculty members, two staff accompanists and a grad
student using two harpsichords by two different makers. I would have
preferred to have one harpsichord but it worked well enough with the
two. One player was ready and waiting to start after the current
player finished. They went straight through and most repeats were
performed.

It took some experimenting to find the sound they liked. While Lehman
or the Handel temperaments sounded pretty good to me, they wanted a
bit more "spice." Ed Foote's suggestion to have a look at
rollingball.com was very helpful. Quick glances at the charts gave me
an idea on how the temperament might sound. I wish I had more time to
experiment with many more temperaments.

I started out with Valotti/Young since it is nicely centered on G. I
also tried Kirnberger and Werckmeister. All of these three worked well
for the most part but there were certain passages in a number of the
variations where things got too spicy. I tried a few others from
rollingball.com but the results were similar.

I was not getting anywhere with the temperaments so I decided to
practice that old tradition of Tuner's Discretion. Since Valotti/Young
is centered on G I tweaked a few of the accidentals thus slowing down
some of the thirds. I put this tuning on the instruments for the dress
rehearsal. They said this worked well. I was not at the dress so this
modified temperament is what I used for the recital.

What I heard in the recital is a bit different from the report I got
after the dress rehearsal. I found the modified Valotti/Young a bit
too spicy for my taste in certain passages. For the most part the
faster variations sounded pretty good but there were times in most of
the slow variations where it did not work for me. The one exception
was the slow variation #25. It really worked on this piece. Quite
surprising!

Most likely I just stumbled on another named well tempered tuning when
I modified Valotti/Young but I do not have a clue which it might be.
So, prior to the recital I named it Don's Golden for the Goldbergs!
After the recital - not so Golden. Anyway, there is always next year.
They are talking about the Inventions for that recital.

Thanks again,
Don

Donald McKechnie
Piano Technician