[CAUT] Goldberg Variations report

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 5 16:03:43 MDT 2009

Exactly.
Tanner
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Foote
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 1:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Goldberg Variations report

  Don writes;

    Most likely I just stumbled on another named well tempered tuning when I modified Valotti/Young but I do not have a clue which it might be. So, prior to the recital I named it Don's Golden for the Goldbergs! After the recital - not so Golden. Anyway, there is always next year. They are talking about the Inventions for that recital.
  I submit that this approach probably was more authentic than anything else could have been.  I doubt that tuners of 200 years ago were following a written program, but rather, were simply following their ears to achieve an acceptable balance.

  Ed Foote RPT