[CAUT] The Well-Educated Pianist

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 09:35:00 MDT 2009

Greetings List,

Last night I was the "entertainment" for the weekly piano colloquium here at CalArts.  I did a super-condensed version of "Ten Things Every Pianist Should Know About Pianos" (which is really EVERYTHING pianists should know, presented shotgun style and organized under ten very broad sub-headings).  I've posted about his before.  What I want to share with you now is that there was only one student who knew anything about the subject at all, and he learned it is a class required for piano majors, even undergrads, at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.  Kudos to Eric for the excellent job he is doing with that class.  In fact, the pianist from CCM happened to win the door prize, but deferred it to another student because he already had a copy of Larry Fine's "The Piano Book," purchased as a text for our esteemed colleague's class.  Well done, sir!

Alan Eder