[CAUT] Ahem! was Artist Bench

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 17 08:34:15 MDT 2009

  It's $XXX.XX + shipping.

  dp

Guys!
Please remember that you are quoting WHOLESALE prices over a very public venue! Retailers have to make money on these things, and potential customers are combing the web trying to find the best prices these days. A simple google search would lead them to our archives. In the future, when you quote prices, please use the published Jansen retail price and call it that. We all know how the Jansen price list works.  Same should hold for Schaff, Pianotek, Steinway, etc., parts prices. Those lists we have access to are wholesale prices, meant to be marked up for profit at resale (if you've got to file sales tax on it, its worth your time to make a profit). And in today's WalMart/E-commerce economy, way too many people are under the false impression that a 10% mark up over cost is plenty for a retailer to live on.

I realize we're talking about the price the school would pay. But the piano industry is quite unique in that universities are allowed to have accounts directly with the wholesaler. Violin/strings and winds wholesalers won't do that so that they can protect the profitability of their dealers (or the ones I tried wouldn't). So please keep this in mind in these kinds of communications.
Thanks,
Jeff