[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 21:18:09 MDT 2009

Hi Marcel,

Sorry for taking so long in responding. You are 90% right in thinking impact versus push-pull. While I love these pianos, I wish that there would be the consistency of most models of Steinways and Yamahas. The two 9'2" Bechstein ENs  at Ohio Northern are by far the closest to each other as far as tuning is concerned but they do require a little different technique. The one in our recital hall is the easiest of the two to tune and also is the most stable.  For that piano, I use very little impact. I also use a little "flag poling". This combination works well for this piano. I was told by the technician that worked this job before me that the piano was hard to tune. Now that I found the combination that works the best, I enjoy tuning this piano and have found that the tuning stability is great. I can tune for a concert and come back two days after the piano had the heavy use in a piano concert and later being used by the choir for practice and find that the piano is only one to two cents off. The Bechstein in our concert hall requires more of an impact. For some reason, the tuning stability is not good if I use the same technique as the one in the recital hall. Outside of using more of an impact, the tuning is pretty close to the other EN. The B on the other hand requires quite a bit of an impact, not only on the first time through with the tuning, but also during the last time going over the piano. Once the hard initial impacting is done and the lesser impacting on the next time through, the final time over the piano you can tune as you would a normal tuning. With the B. If I do anything else, the tuning will not be stable or last as long as you would want. Why the B would be so different, I could not guess. When you check everything on the piano, things look great.

I have found that I now enjoy the Bechsteins as well as any good Steinway since I have found, or blundered, into what works well for these pianos. I would like to know if anyone else notices these tuning quirks on Bechsteins or I do I just have the enjoyment of three piano by the same manufacturer that have their own distinct personalities? I was told by one technician that European pianos are all that way. I don't believe it. The other grands that I tune from Germany and Austria do not require the tuning techniques that these Bechsteins do.

I hope that this helped answer your question. By the way, is Sherbrooke still the great town that it was ten years ago. I have been there several times and have enjoyed it.

God bless

Bill Balmer,RPT
University of Findlay and Ohio Northern University