[CAUT] Fw: liszt

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Oct 22 15:10:02 MDT 2009

Hi Gerry et.al,
Thanks for the support all!! I sure appreciate all you folks for the great
advice!

I'll just tune as well as I can and get in there during all their breaks
to touch up stuff.  We're using a Steinway D in Kimball, another Steinway
D in Lied, another Steinway D in Westbrook and a Steinway B in Steinhart,
so I'll have lots to keep up on.  I COULD scare them and say we only have
Lester spinets and our crown jewel, the Betsy Ross in the main recital
hall!!  (ha ha ha)

We don't really have "back-up" pianos except a pretty good 1956 Baldwin D
with new stack (Ronsen-wurzen hammers) and it has been Wapinized.  The
sustain goes on and on with a really nice brilliance. It still needs more
voicing, IMHO, but could be used in a pinch in either Kimball Hall or
Lied.

The only bummer is that it's over my wife's birthday and, unless she signs
up for the conference, can't come :>(

Thanks again!

Paul

BTW: George Winston was a really nice fellow, but I don't think I've ever
seen someone pound on a piano as much as him....also....damper pedal down
most of the time...no wonder it kept going out of unison tune!!

Another BTW:  How do you all handle intermission tuning touch-ups?  It's
so noisy!!