[CAUT] pin drop

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Wed Oct 28 07:48:47 MDT 2009

Me and my work-study students installed "stretchers" near the bottom of
the legs on our benches and we've never had to replace a bench since.  I
got the idea from a replacement bench we purchased from one of the piano
supply houses and, after looking at it, decided we could do the same
thing.  I used an exotic, dense wood for the narrow strips and, since
the benches were black, covering screw holes and painting them were not
a problem.  The first year I was here we replaced 3 benches and I
repaired a couple of others.  After adding the stretchers I've not
touched a bench.  That was 7 years ago.  Saved the Department several
thousand dollars!

Joy!

Elwood

Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT