[CAUT] pin drop

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Oct 28 15:00:41 MDT 2009

Hi, Dave

It's only confession time for people who feel like it, I'm sure.

Hope you'll enjoy your new-found and well-earned leisure.

I think that one problem faced by the profession over the next
decade or two is the idea that for the full-time positions, people
either do the whole thing, or they do nothing (retire completely.)
If we face a shortage of young people training up and getting
the experience they need to handle concert work, wouldn't it make
more sense to split the positions, letting today's full-time
people partially retire but do some concerts, while acting as coaches
to their younger replacements? (if any can be found ...)

I look around and don't see young tuners -- maybe it's just my
particular area? I put some of the blame on the student loans
(might better be called indentured servitude!) which leave bright
young people with a brand new diploma and a six-figure debt. Talk
about limiting their options! I suspect that all the non-traditional
interesting artisan-type jobs are suffering from an absence of
the young people who normally would be attracted to them, but now
have to service debt as far as the eye can see.

It was a dirty trick to pull on the young folks, mortgaging their
futures while giving lots of profit and perks to big banks.

On the other hand, a lot of those highly indebted young people
now graduating look around for jobs good enough to service that
debt, and come up empty. I could see a lot of those loans going
bad, and after going through bankruptcy, the young people might
then have a chance to explore and invent unusual occupations, in
their own time and their own ways. Maybe some will be piano techs
some day.

Just MHO ...

Susan Kline