[CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Thu Apr 1 10:14:17 MDT 2010

We need to be careful interpreting Meyer's test results in a performance
context. For example, while the una corda diminishes loudness less than
might be expected, this assumes the same force of blow with and without it;
usually, though, the pianist employs the una corda along with a less
forceful touch, thus magnifying the aural difference. I believe Rubenstein
once confided that as a special tonal effect, he played loud while using the
una corda. Also, in performance with the lid closed, pianists generally play
more lightly, again changing the intensity even more than the test implies.
One measure of a sensitive piano might be the degree to which the tone
changes in tandem with dynamic level, assuming this is desirable (it makes
the music more colorful to my ear). Old pianos, especially with Viennese
actions, tend to be good at this, partly because the flexibility of the
shank and the action set-up change the strike point (between PP and FF) more
than normally occurs on a modern piano. Among other factors are hammer
resilience and damper efficiency, so the variables are more compex than
Meyer's tests might indicate.
Laurence