[CAUT] Too tall!!??

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 08:38:03 MDT 2010

My procedure when tuning two pianos that are different is to always try that
first.  Since I use the SATIII as well I tune the first and primary piano to
whatever measurements I get (with usual aural check cross checks).  Then
going to the second piano I tune all the As (A2 through A6) and test the
octaves to see if they have any significant problems.  If there are problems
I'll measure that piano and save it to a different page.  Check the A3 and
A4 new measurements against the other piano, make sure the A4 is a match and
adjust if needed.  Check the C88 stretch number to see how close the two are
and keep that in mind so that I can graduate the stretch using the DOB so
that I get a pretty close match there as I go up.  Same at the bottom.  If
the A's are a good match I just tune the second piano to the first piano
settings paying attention to the aural checks as I go and especially as I
get beyond A2 and A6.  It seems to work out pretty well generally.  With two
non matching pianos there are always going to be some compromises but you
can minimize the problems this way.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com