[CAUT] too tall?

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 8 16:43:46 MDT 2010

We got a few complaints on our heavily-used D. They were actually
about the pedals being too high. And they were too high, with the
piano on the truck. I tried several solutions, and have done best by
ordering a set of casters with the overall height that puts the
pedals in the right place. The best suggestion I can make is to
measure to the underside of the pedals (they are supposed to be at
the same height, BTW) when they're on the original casters. Then
measure the same dimension when it's back on the truck. Then contact
a caster supplier with specifications. I can probably look up what I
did if you need those specs. Or you can go to Caster Solutions and
ask them if they still have those specs from when I ordered. If I
remember, the replecement casters were almost 1" shorter in overall
height. Be sure to spec out floor type (for wheel covering material)
and weight capacity (950 lbs, plus truck, but not evenly distributed.
Anyone ever put each leg on a scale?)

There are a few down sides to this:  The lyre is prone to catch on
protruding door hardware, if there is any. There may be a small
difference in acoustic coupling with the floor. And someone will have
to deal with caster locks one way or another.

Doug

Doug Wood
Piano Technician
School of Music