[CAUT] using as ETD

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sat Apr 10 08:52:13 MDT 2010

Henry,

You pointed out another ETD goldmine; storing tunings. I told a friend of mine who was vehemently against ETDs to let me save his very best aural tuning of a certain piano so I could duplicate it when I came to that same piano. He stared at me dumbfounded. "You mean you can duplicate MY tuning?" He now uses an ETD to store his aural tunings and says it's at least a good place to start. He also says he tweaks the tunings aurally and saves any changes he may make. I still like to tune aurally, but you're right, there's lots of reasons it's great to have. And since I always have my IPod It's ZERO extra in my kit!

Jim Busby

Saving your hearing, sanity, stress, time and etc.  I started like most did in the 60's and 70's and thought I did a pretty good job.  I've used the old Conn Strobetuner, Peterson, TuneLab, and Verituner.  I was one of the few who used a Yamaha Tuning Scope that I bought in 1979 that was stolen out of my car and then fenced to a local tuner who called me to find out if I knew how to use it.  I had all the accessories!  Never did get it back...anyway I rely on aural skills and depend on the ETD or the other way around.  I save my tunings for consistency and as a time saver on the college instruments.

Henry Nicolaides
Southern Illinois University.