[CAUT] [SPAM] Re: using as ETD, was Re: Too tall!!??

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 23:18:01 MDT 2010

I very much
njoy setting a temperament, then tweaking it to make it sound the very
est I can.  I like your wording, "interplay of intervals."  I like
uning octaves and unisons and the checks used in octave tuning.  I like
hat the piano sounds like when I'm finished.

Susan and Ed

This is where I think you two might have the wrong impression of what an ETD can do for you. First of all, as has been cited, for a pitch raise, these things are invaluable. Using the the machine leaves the piano almost exactly on pitch, (if you do it right). On a regular tuning, using an ETD puts 99% of the piano right where it should be. What is left, is exactly what you like to do. You can interplay with all the intervals, and I would go out on a limb and say that it actually allow you to be an even better tuning than you are now. I use my SAT to tune the whole piano. Then I turn it off, and tune the whole piano again, aurally. I tweak every interval. When I get done, I really like the piano when I'm finished, because I've put my personal touch to it.

As far as the blinking lights are concerned, well, yes, Susan, I guess they can be a little bit of a distraction. But, as you said, to each his/her own.

Wim