[CAUT] ET "width"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 12 10:18:36 MDT 2010

Hi Andrew,
	I have numbers for a few of Jim Coleman's recipes, but Coleman 8 I
don't have. Is there a source for all of them somewhere?
	I'd be surprised if your comp prof would notice Di Veroli's "almost
equal" temperament. I wouldn't classify it as a WT. The maximum
deviation from ET is just over 1 cent (supposedly 1.08 cents). For
those who are interested, it is Di Veroli's creation, based on making
AC# very slightly narrower than ET (by 0.35 bps), and making C#F and
FA equal in width in bps. Then divide each major third into its
component fifths (the fifths "within" each third being equal in size).
A rather quirky recipe he first published in 1978. The M3s vary
(theoretically) from 12.6 cents to 15.9 cents, in a WT style pattern
(the maximum size M3 is C#E#, and the minimum size applies to CE, GB,
DF# and AC#).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico