[CAUT] temperament

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:15:17 MDT 2010

With this thread on temperaments, I just had a very interesting experience.  April 1st and 5th we had performances of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier.  Book one was done on the 1st and Book 2 on the 5th.  15 different players were involved overall.  The pianos were tuned in a Werckmeister III temperament.  The pieces were played in chromatic order.

While no one wanted to say they didn't notice a difference some were considerably more aware of the temperament than others.  Of course those that did the F#, B etc. noticed more of a difference than the C, F & G players.  One of our artists-in-residence planned the whole thing and made the playing assignments and I came out of retirement for a few days to do the tuning.  Everyone - performers and audience alike - seemed to get a lot out of it.

At least the temperament in this case was not that difficult a call.  I'm not sure what I'd recommend for the cycle of Chopin Preludes or especially the Rachmaninoff Preludes.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>