[CAUT] Schubert tuning in "Grand Obsession" book?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:11:58 MDT 2010

Hi John

I'm the one that posted the stretch parameters of that particular tuning.

Since I knew the author while she was writing the book, she shared the measured tuning numbers from her piano.  I then found a local piano - same model and vintage.  I used the custom style editor available on the Verituner to attempt to match the tuning -

If you have access to a Verituner this style is an exact match for Grotrians: (The custom style editor can be replicated via aural approaches by using appropriate octave type checks and "balancing" between them to set a section of notes, transitioning between the setpoints...  The percentage number tell how much weight is to be given to one octave type over the other.

A0  12:6 75%  / 6:3  25%

G#1 8:1 100%

A1 4:1 80%  / 6:3 20%

C#3 4:2 70% / 6:3  30%

A3-A4 temperament octave  4:2 77% / 2:1 23%

A5 4:2 100%

A6 4:2 37% / 4:1 63%

C8  4:1 100%

Don't get hung up on the specific percentages - that's machine talk!  In English, start with a narrow 4:2 octave in the middle- as you go up get to a pure 4:2 around A5 and then start bringing in the 4:1 double octave to favor by A6 and get to a pure double octave by the top.  Going down from the middle, keep the 4:2 but start going wide, using the 6:3 to measure.  By A1, favor the double octave over the 6:3.  Set the bass with the wider intervals...

Here's an adaptation that I developed appropriate for all instrument to capture the flavor of the tuning, yet being "safe" for many different string scales.

A0  6:3  35% / 8:4 65%

A1 4:1 80% / 6:3 20%

C#3 4:2 70% / 6:3 30%

A3-A4 4:2 77% / 2:1 23%