[CAUT] using as ETD

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 16 16:00:20 MDT 2010

On Apr 13, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Ron Overs wrote:

> The ETD's stretch calculation is based on the inharmonicity
> following a geometric curve,

	Actually, this is a misconception, which may be somewhat more true of
some ETDs than others, but fails to understand the "magic" of a smooth
geometric curve _at a particular partial level_. It is the fact that
the 6th partial is being tuned (as one of the options) that smoothes
out the break as a starting point. The fundamentals jump around a bit
across the break, while the partials in their smooth progress make the
intervals "work out" pretty darned well. This is what the SAT does on
its own without any fudging (and there are methods to fudge to make
the thirds progress better if that is desired). Other ETDs have
various other methods of dealing with breaks, some of which are pretty
sophisticated and emulate what an aural tuner would be trying to do.
I'll quote here from Ron Koval's recent post on the Verituner and the
"Schubert tuning":
A0  12:6 75%  / 6:3  25%
G#1 8:1 100%
A1 4:1 80%  / 6:3 20%
	These are user presets that ask the machine to compromise between a
couple possible ways of tuning an individual note, giving precedence
at some ratio, much like we might favor a 12th over a double octave,
but not want to go so far as to make the 2:1 octave too wide (or
something along those lines, the point not being the intervals I chose
as examples, but the process of compromise).

	In any case, at this point one simply can't make broad
generalizations about "ETD tunings" any more than about "Aural
tunings." ETDs can be used in so many ways, and they have so many
sophisticated options built in, that someone who understands them can
do anything using the ETD that an aural tuner can do. In fact, that
was true to a lesser extent going way back to the Sight-O-Tuner,
except that there wasn't the calculating ability built in that makes
it all so much faster today.
	Bottom line, it depends on the operator, whether using ears or using
ETDs. Anyone claiming that either "method," in and of itself, is
superior, or is bound to lead to superior results, is mistaken, IMO.
OTOH, I have been using ETDs for 15 years now, and personally I can
claim with utter assurance that I produce much better and more
consistent tunings using an ETD, which is not to say I wasn't pretty
proud of my aural skills. But that is just because I find that using a
tool makes life easier and more precise, like maybe I might find using
a ruler better for creating a straight line than eyeballing it. When
it comes to tuning, the ruler analogy has to be modified to note that
we aren't dealing with a plane surface, and some calculation is in
needed in order to make the line "look straight." So it has to be a
"smart ruler," which is what modern ETDs are.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm