[CAUT] using as ETD

Carl Root carldroot at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 19:49:29 MDT 2010

Dear diehard aural tuners,

I'm curious . . . . .

Do you (or does anyone) know of a full time tech who has used an ETD
for a period of time (enough to really understand how it works), then
decided, for whatever reason, to go back to tuning aurally?

I think I'm correct in saying that most of the RPTs discussing this
who are ETD users passed their exams prior to "converting". . . . . .
whereas the aural tuners in this debate haven't run a machine through
its paces, so their observations aren't really observations, but
rather concerns about how they imagine it works.

An ETD "listens" to all the intervals at once, initially, and produces
the smoothest tuning that the piano's scale will allow.  You can then
tweak it to your heart's content, but I'll bet that most of the time,
in the process of "improving" some intervals, you're making others
worse (keep in mind, you can only hear one interval at a time . . . .
not very efficient.)

OK, so it has your personal stamp on it, but unless the client is
impressed with your "improvement", I don't see the point.  I have
other outlets for expressing myself artistically.

Carl D. Root, RPT