[CAUT] using as ETD

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Apr 18 21:02:31 MDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> Okay, but then it wouldn't have occurred to me that 1880 or
> thereabouts was still early in the 19th century. In that case,
> Brahms surely qualifies for your survey? Anyway, I've kind of lost
> the point here; is it that a predilection for keys far from C
> suggests less tolerance for temperaments other than ET?
> Laurence

	Most of this thread (from me) is a response to Ed Foote's claim that
WTs sound more consonant because most music is in the diatonic keys.
Since the diatonic keys have narrower major thirds, hence the thirds
are milder. That was his claim. He has suggested that Chopin is a big
exception. I don't believe this is the case.
	I'm afraid I did mis-write when referring to "early 19th century" and
later to "1815-1880" - slip of the brain. Essentially I am talking
about the trend of the 19th century, which is for many more distant
keys. The standard repertory of the 19th century is not filled with
mostly Bflat to D major. Keys with more accidentals are, in fact, more
common (in piano music, which is what this applies to - other
instrumental music not being affected by temperament issues in the
same ways).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico