[CAUT] soundboard "stress test"

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 09:49:07 MDT 2010

Hi Allen,

Looking at the pictures that you sent, I don't think that I would replace the soundboard especially if the piano was said to have good tone before the fire. From the bubbling that was seen and that the wood did not seem to have any damage, I would just refinish the soundboard at let it go at that. I had a fire in my shop twenty five years ago  and had a piano having worse damage it the soundboard than what is shown here. When I removed the old finish I found that the board was not damaged as far as the wood goes. I simply refinished the soundboard. Today you would never guess that anything had ever happened to the piano. I am a volunteer firefighter and have seen some pretty amazing things. Fire is extremely unpredictable and you see things happen that you would never guess and that  people would say is impossible. I have seen things in a room that was gutted by fire and yet were totally unharmed. I have also seen little damage in a room as far as actual fire damage and yet j
 ust about everything was ruined. What happened to the soundboard that you showed is very interesting and yet I would say that it would be hard to explain every part in detail. I could give you paged of information on different theories as to why things happened, wood density, steam, temperature and other things and I still doubt if there would be a good 100% answer for everything.

God bless

Bill Balmer,RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay