[CAUT] ET vs UET

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 21 21:17:28 MDT 2010

Reading the Ellis appendix, another question occurred to me.

Jorgensen repeatedly uses his "equal beating" argument: "tuners of the past believed that equal-beating was equal- tempering, and so they mistakenly mistuned fifths that were progressively narrower rather than equal."

But Sanderson showed that due to inharmonicity and octave stretching, mid-range fifths are, in fact, equal-beating on a modern piano. At what time did piano scaling become inharmonic enough for this to happen?

Ed S.