[CAUT] temperament

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:37:09 MDT 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> Would anyone care to speculate on what influence the rise of piano
> tuning as a separate profession might have had on temperament
> issues? Over time, might the profession have moved in the direction
> of homogenizing or standardizing tunings more than had been the case
> earlier?

	One assumes that, as a practical matter, players of stringed keyboard
instruments learned to tune from their teachers. Hence, you would have
a great deal of variability, both with respect to how well a given
teacher taught tuning, and between teachers in the same area, let
alone regional differences.
	(One should note that in the days of 1/4 comma mean tone, there would
have been considerable homogenization across Europe. 1/4 comma mean
tone is not subject to variability, at least as an ideal - obviously
one can vary in one's skill, but it will be obvious if the thirds are
just or aren't).
	The rise of the profession of tuning came at the same time as
industrialization, with book learning becoming a much more important
component (tuning and repair manuals/books began to be published
shortly after 1750 in Germany). I'm not sure there are any records of
tuning being taught systematically as a profession prior to Montal at
the Paris school for the blind in the 1820s. We might assume
apprenticeship (probably at a manufacturer) as the major means of
education, unless someone picked up a book and self-taught. In urban
centers, it seems it was customary to get a tuner from a local
manufacturer, even in the times of harpsichords (I am thinking Pepys
and Jean Denis here). The profession as an independent way to make a
living probably arose when there was enough demand that individuals
could branch off on their own, I'd suspect between the very late 18th
century and mid 19th century.
	Over a great deal of time, there was more homogenization as standard
textbooks were published, and as there was more communication between
manufacturers, musicians and technicians. But one may well ask
compared to what? What were the individual differences prior, and what
evidence to we have of those differences? I would say the major
homogenization would be adoption of particular methods and/or
sequences, which might lead to more refined and standardized skill
levels.

> If so, could this suggest that ET might have become prevalent first
> in urban areas, where most tuners worked, and slower to catch on in
> the provinces?

If you were out in the country, who knows what you would find, but it
probably wouldn't be very refined (you might well need to make
arrangements for someone from the city to travel out to your house).
Older methods might well survive, and I think they would likely be of
a mean tone variety, even well into the 19th century. There is plenty
of documentary evidence of rough methods tuning outward from A to G#
(up) and Eflat (down) and leaving the "waste" in that location, even
in early ET methods. (Interestingly, Moore & Co tuners used that
pattern according to Ellis, though they started at what had become the
standard tuning fork C).

> Are there any studies of whether temperaments are easier to
> distinguish on harpsichords than on pianos, and on fortepianos
> compared to modern grands?

	I am unaware of any studies. Many people make that claim, reasonably
enough, basing it on the relative prominence of upper partials.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht