[CAUT] ET vs UET

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 05:32:47 MDT 2010

 David asks:

>>I've got to ask in the WT vs. ET is the piano playing anything in the harsh
keys?

  Harsh? or expressive? It has been my experience that the more remote
keys are heard as more expressive in the music. Harshness occurs when we simply hit the highly
tempered intervals to listen to them in isolation.
  One of the most remarked upon events in the programs I have given has been the back to back
comparison of pieces in G and Ab on the same tuning, (usually a Coleman 11).  I did this to most strongly illuminate the difference in
musical effect of tempering. It is rare to hear a tech say it sounded out of tune,(though it has
happened several times).  I never hear that from music listeners, but they often comment on how
beautiful the music sounded.
  It would be useless to compare temeperaments by staying in the less tempered keys.  Some of the
most beautiful, engaging, harmony has been intentionally placed in the most expressive keys.
The use of highly expressive composition is an integral component of the sonata.  Rendering
all intervals the same expressive value erases this effect of harmonic contrast, yet this loss is
not registered by those that have never heard the difference. In truth, they do not know
what they are missing!  Some of us has taken it upon ourselves to expose the alternatives, and
are finding a very warm reception. There is a way to do this, and a way to stunt it, depending on
how the tech presents the concept. The whole question can be avoided, of course, with the
use of ET.
  Regards,
Ed Foote RPT