[CAUT] using as ETD

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 09:54:18 MDT 2010

I've tuned the last two weeks with this discussion in mind. I promise I'll
leave it alone, but I had to share this experience I had yesterday.

Susan Kline wrote:
(from the context copied below)
"I just don't see how it adds up to a great new understanding of and contact
with a piano, compared to tuning it aurally."

Just yesterday I had one experience that makes a good case. When I took out
my SAT and turned it on, and played the A4 just to get an idea of where the
pitch of the Kawai KG-40 grand I tune 3 times a year was, the lights sat
perfectly still. I thought, "great", this will go quickly. So, I punch in
the FAC numbers only to realize that the lights are spinning very quickly on
the flat side. Hmmmm.  After a little investigation, I learn that the 4th
partial of A4 is not consistent with its neighbors, and if I tune the 4th
partial in line with the G# and A# per the FAC calculation, then the
fundamental of A4 will be 1.5 cents sharp, while the G# and A# are dead on.

So, a question begs. If I set the fundamental of A4 aurally with the fork or
other device, how will an aural tuning affect the rest of the scale? Will
the rest of the piano tune 1.5 cents flat, with only the A being dead on
440? Hard to know because of the difference in the partials used for tuning.

Is it significant? Maybe and maybe not. It wouldn't be significant for this
piano owner. The point is, the ETD revealed something to me about this piano
that I would not have known tuning aurally. Where would it matter? Tuning
for recording or tuning two pianos together 1.5 cents apart could be
audible. It also could possibly affect a tuning exam score if scaling of A4
is out of sequence with the rest of the piano by 1.5 cents.

But I now am more in touch with physical realities of this piano than I
would have been without the ETD.

Jeff