[CAUT] ET vs UET

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 23 12:50:15 MDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> How do you know it's a small minority?

"Know" is maybe a strong word, but it is definitely a tentative
working opinion based on many years of my own experiences as well as
what I have heard from many, many colleagues. Even the most ardent
believers in how wonderful various patterns are will tell me, when
asked, that the majority of their customers and of those who listen
are unable to distinguish the difference.
	I guess I should note I am talking about fairly subtle patterns, not
on the level of Vallotti, but on the level of Moore or Bremmer's Equal
Beating Victorian Temperament. At some point you get to a pattern
subtle enough nobody will be able either to execute it or hear it,
can't we agree on that? The Di Veroli "Almost-equal" is in that realm,
with maximum variant from ET of 1.1 cents - two bulges toward that
maximum, with increments of 0.2  to 0.5 cents leading to the bulge.
Some say they can hear that. I'm not sure I can achieve it with enough
accuracy as a tuner, and I know I can't hear it. One assumes that
there is a continuum along which at a certain point some small number
of people will be able to hear the difference.
	So at that point on the continuum . . .

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>
>>> So we run up against the question, once again, of where the limits
>>> of significance actually lie. Is it, in fact, significant that
>>> some small minority can hear the difference and values it? (Well,
>>> it is  significant for those people, assuming they are actually
>>> that acute  and sensitive in their hearing and that suggestibility
>>> is not a part  of the phenomenon).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico