[CAUT] Whitening Ivories

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 24 07:58:47 MDT 2010

Just trying to review my chemistry I referred to wiki answers.  Here is what I found.
Now to your question. H2O2 is a very weak acid in water, much weaker
than vinegar, but still 103 - 104 times stronger
than water itself. For all practical purposes, then, we don't consider
H2O2 to be an acid. However, in strongly alkaline solutions, H2O2 is
deprotonated preferentially to water to give the HO2- (hydroperoxide)
ion, analogous to the HO- (or OH-) ion produced when water is
deprotonated. This ion is the reagent in the Dakin reaction giving
catechols and quinols. So, it has some acid properties. H2O2 is a much
weaker base than water, and the H3O2+ ion is very unstable, obtained
only with the strongest of acids (superacids).

However, H2O2 can be dissolved in polar solvents which are far less
acidic than water, some of which may even be bases - such as ammonia. In
 such circumstances, H2O2 can be the principal acidic species present in
 solution. Acid-sensitive compounds, such as Grignard reagents, are
destroyed on protonation by hydrogen peroxide just as they are by water.

Wow... lots of words. Let me sum that up for you. Hydrogen peroxide
is not an
acid.

Cream of Tarter: this is what Wisegeek has to say.
 Cream
 of tartar is the common
name for potassium
 hydrogen
tartrate and is essentially an acidic salt. It is manufactured by mixing
 potassium hydroxide with tartaric acid.
 For centuries it has been formed from the sediment left over in barrels
 after the winemaking process.
Cream
 of tartar also has other
household applications (other than for use in cooking). It can be used to clean brass and copper cookware.
It is also helpful in removing stains from sinks and bathtubs. Cream of tartar and hydrogen
peroxide can remove even the most stubborn rust stains, without
 scratching a delicate surface. Always test the solution in an
inconspicuous area first, however, to ensure its suitability for use on
that surface.

Apparently, one can use either to clean and in our experience as piano technicians clean and whitening ivory.  Hydrogen peroxide mixed with ammonia is used to "bleach" hair in the professional setting and at home is used by itself in a 3% strength, allowing more time to work.  Mixed together Cream of Tarter and Hydrogen Peroxide may provide an easier to work with and more efficacious solution to the ivory cleaning and whitening process.  I have old ivory blanks to experiment with during the summer break.  If you decide to use stronger 30% Hydrogen Peroxide it may work quicker, but be sure to use rubber gloves to protect your skin!

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician
Southern Illinois University