[CAUT] ET vs UET

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 17:20:57 MDT 2010

All due respect Ed but how could that possibly be true?  Casals is referring
to the fact that there are no just intervals in the piano and that
everything is tuned slightly out of tune-the diabolical instrument as it is
often referred to.    That is true whether it's ET or UET.  In fact one
could argue that the degree of "out-of-tuneness" is greater with UET than
ET.  The fourths and fifths have a wider variation as do the thirds and
sixths.   But either way, intonation problems for those sensitive to pure
intervals are not resolved by WT especially in the outer keys where
intonation problems are worse.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

" Casals is adamant about intonation. He has had his pupils repeat passages
until there is absolute accuracy of intonation. To a pupil playing a sonata
with piano, he recommends, "do not be afraid to be out of tune with the
piano. It is the piano that is out of tune. The piano with its tempered
scale is a compromise in intonation."

    I don't think Casals was referring to anything but ET when he said that,
so where may we go from here?  I have found the WT approach to reduce the
intonation problems, not create them

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT