[CAUT] ET vs UET

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:40:25 MDT 2010

Hi again,

It seems to me that there ought to be room enough in our profession now days
to allow for an aesthetic judgment that admittedly most players apparently
can not identify unless it is pointed out to them, but of those that do
clearly some feel it profoundly compliments the music, and yet, when tested,
subtle enough that it still falls well within the boundaries of what we have
defined acceptable for the status quo, ET.  If everybody involved with the
immediate experience is happy, especially the one paying the bill, I really
don't understand the fuss.

But historically though, if we acknowledge that indeed most of the best
tuners in the late 19th century were trying to do the best ET they knew how,
there are lots of explanations for this that have little to do with the
music.  It provided a professional standard both for small business and on a
larger scale, for manufacturers. It was the difficult thing to do that
required a "professional", and insured "freedom with all keys".  Today we
already have our professional standard and that has been met.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson