[CAUT] F..riction

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 07:57:19 MST 2010

 David writes:
>>  I would question how one can actually tell about something like
inertia.  Playing a block of chords it’s easy to see how touchweight
(DW) itself can easily vary by a factor of two in the same voicing if
one note is played out near the end of the key while others are played
near the fall board.  Yet pianists seem to hardly notice that
difference at all and routinely adapt to the position of the finger on
the key without apparent incident.  Since differences in inertia are
even less directly perceived than differences in actual static
resistance I would wonder how someone could actually tell the
difference in inertia that results from a FW difference between two
notes of only 10%.  <<

Greetings,
In blocks of chords, the inertial differences are less obvious than in
fast arpeggios or chromatic runs, since the effects of inertia
variations are amplified by velocity.  The heavier key will exhibit a
different response to fast or FF playing,i.e. it will feel more
resistant than its lighter neighbors. I can't tell the difference, but
I am not capable of playing like some of the Chopin mavens I have run
into.  The response of several of them has been that there were keys(on
a factory leaded Steinway), that felt "heavier' when a fast trill was
required.  On investigation, I found that those keys were significantly
heavier (in FW) than their neighbors, though their DW was less.
     I suppose this comes from the leading being done by people that
only
considered DW, and friction control being what it is on the production
line, the FW varied considerably on the keys when new, but as the
friction disappeared, the DW dropped but the FW stayed high, and the
inertial differences became apparent during certain passages.
    It might not be the first time my logic led me completely astray,
but
after putting a smoother SW in ( new hammers and shanks),  I had to
radically alter some of the FW's and the problem disappeared.
Any other interpretations will be welcomed.
Regards,
Ed Foote