[CAUT] aftertouch (was Re: F..riction)

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Mon Dec 13 17:44:50 MST 2010

>>This squishiness of the felt isnot a factor with Crescendo Punchings
>Yes, they make it possible to have less aftertouch (and, therefore,
>more power) and still be clearly defined about where key dip ends
>with a reasonable landing (without feeling like concrete).  I have
>followed Andre Oorebeek's practice and install them routinely as
>part of every action job.

  Another aspect is that the firmness of the Crescendo Punchings
retains a closer after touch between the dynamic range of playing.

Believe it or not, I have demonstrated it many times... they focus the tone.
Not always but mostly which is an improvement.

There is a difference between the conical and straight sided punchings.
I demonstrated this to a few people. The conical ones produced a more
focused tone than the straight. An upside-down conical punching produced
the same tone as a straight pinching.  Go figgre.

They don't benefit every situation, sometimes a softer punching is needed:
Chickering Quarter Grands (my experience) and most verticals.
--

Regards,

Jon Page