[CAUT] aftertouch (was Re: F..riction)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 14 08:16:52 MST 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Jon Page wrote:

>> Final check is
>> to take each key through escapement (slowly and controlled) and then
>> press to the bottom and compress the front punching a bit. The
>> hammers
>> should each rise from drop the same amount, not much but definitely
>> some (1 mm?).
>
> That's a lot of lost territory.

	Well, I'm not so sure. It is possible that a regulation with absolute
minimum aftertouch is more "efficient" and fast. There is a school of
thought that aims to go further and make escapement have a minimum
feel to it. Jack is positioned so its edge is closer to the middle of
the knuckle rather than lining up to the molding, as far as possible
without cheating on a hard blow. Drop is as close as possible to let
off, say 1 mm let off, 2 mm drop (measured from the string).
Aftertouch is about .030" or even a wee bit less.
	I prefer to back off from there: jack lined up to molding, drop at 3
mm, aftertouch at .040 - .050". It gives a more definite feel to the
escapement, still with a lot of speed and efficiency - I think enough
for about anyone. This is partly from personal taste developed over
time (experimenting and finally deciding provisionally what I really
like myself), but also from feedback. For instance, when I had pushed
toward what I described as making escapement have a minimal feel, a
piano prof commented to me that she was trying to teach her students
the feel of aftertouch, and her piano didn't feel right (her studio
piano I had just fine-regulated).
	So I have come to the conclusion that manufacturer's specs and what
their technical reps say might actually be a good thing to follow <G>.
That is, I have a definite preference for 1 - 1.5 mm let off (- 2 mm
low bass), and that is tighter than some specs suggest. And I put dip
wherever aftertouch wants it to be, not worrying so much about hitting
the recommendation.
	I think you should also keep an open mind to the possibility of a
"coarser" regulation for some people, with "heavy fingers," who
request a keyboard they can "get their fingers into" or something
descriptive along those lines: jack a little the other side of the
molding (0.5 to 1 mm), drop at 4 mm, aftertouch at .050 - .060. That
works, too, but I wouldn't do it unless someone was asking for it, not
liking what I usually do.
	Also, of course, a very good case can be made for more aftertouch
with new parts, allowing for compression. But there, I regulate as
described, then raise the hammer line 1 - 2 mm.
	Bottom line, though, is that the most important thing is consistency
and predictability.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel