[CAUT] What do pianists feel epilogue-- was: F..riction

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 06:45:51 MST 2010

Could be an improvement...

anon

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
To: caut <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Thu, Dec 16, 2010 2:48 pm
Subject: [CAUT] What do pianists feel epilogue-- was:  F..riction

Well apropos to this discussion I was handed an action of an unnamed major European manufacturer that the pianist was not happy with in terms of how even it felt.  My survey revealed a SW curve that looked more like the stock market trending over the past couple of decades, the FW pattern was equally random both in terms of number and placement for and aft, flange pinning ranged from 1 swing to an infinite number of swings, the action also had a natural ratio of around 5.7 and a sharp ratio of around 6.5 (some variation from end to end)  and just to complicate things slightly wippen assist springs that stopped at note 61 with fairly random tensions set.   I love an intellectual challenge.  So I took the action apart and put it in a large box, shook it up and put all the parts back wherever they happened to fall.  My hypothesis is that they won’t be able to tell the difference.   What do you think?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com