[CAUT] Mitutoyo gauge

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Dec 21 20:35:44 MST 2010

Hi Jon,

I use it as a simple thickness gauge for determining bushing cloth thickness. Except once.

When I posted this I thought people might get hung up on this and think that I "test" many things with it, but no, I only did one small comparison where I softly let the gauge close on some front rail punchings, then after it stopped on its own I lightly tapped it, thus allowing the spring in the gauge to further compress it as far as the little spring would. The "firm" punchings would  compress about 10-20 thousandths less than the "mushy" ones. It did it every time. I learned two things from this; 1. Softer punchings really do compress more 2. I should never post such spur of the moment, grab whatever thingee you have, kindergarten tests ever again... <G>

Best,
Jim