[CAUT] Hammer evaluation, Weickert felt

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:26:50 MST 2010

Well the hammer job was delivered. Thought you guys might like a report on
these hammers. This was the new Weickert felt from Ronsen hammer. I put them
on a barely been played 25 year old Yamaha G3. I told my mentor, Dale Erwin,
the piano make and model and he handed me these. The client, an acomplished
classical musician, had said he thought the piano played heavy in the bass
and low tenor. He has owned it two years.
Of course the factory run of hammers doesn't match the prescribed leading
patterns. The factory run went from a 9.8 gram hammer down to a 9 gr by note
12 and back to a 9,5 hammmer just before the strut break. No wonder it
played heavy through that section. So I graduated the weight to sort of a
curve. The hammer has to look right too, not just weigh right. This
adjustment is one of the things I love about a Yamaha. Because the action
ration is so consistant, everything falls into place.

Basically then two things were done that changed the sound. The weight
reduction added control. I started with a 9.8 gr hammer and was at 8.5 gr/
note 26/ strut break. Then 8 gr by note 40 tapering down to a 5 gram hammer
at 88.
I put these on with no lacquer or needling. This was one of my better jobs.
I had to spend 15 minutes aligning hammers to strings. They were even
checking right. None were blocking.

First, he was really happy with the feel. Then overjoyed.

How shall I descibe the sound......... Glorious. Simply Glorious. Tonal
envelope was beautiful. Very interesting and pleasant. Full and rich like an
orchestra. Power to spare. Instant response to ppp. I could have put a few
drops of lacquer to give it that pop and sizzle from the attack of the
harder head but WHY? It would be a pleasure to play these in. The tonal
clarity must come from the rebound. This hammer is an amazing spring. If it
had to go on stage right away, a little lacquer for sure
The owner has already emailed me and told me how much he truely LOVES his
piano now. Within the first hour before I even got home, he sent it. Is that
a record?

Thank you, Dale S. Erwin, for all the mistakes you made so I don't have
to... I mean, your wisdom.. haha

Keith