[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 9 13:16:24 MST 2010

Fred Sturm wrote:
  > Hi David,
> A fair number of people believe that tapping bridge pins and "seating
> strings" on the bridge (by various means) has a positive sonic effect.

It's not a belief, it's demonstrable. There is very often an
improvement in tone and clarity. The problem is that they
think they've done something different than what they've
actually done, and while they've made a temporary difference,
they haven't fixed a thing.

> In any case, I don't think the word placebo is appropriate. I would
> describe it instead as giving a drug which masks symptoms, but has a
> long term effect of exacerbating the condition.

It's a false positive, by whatever name.
Ron N