[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 21:18:21 MST 2010

Thanks, Fred. Admirable attempt to put a difficult concept into words.
Five Lectures has its uses, eh?

In a message dated 2/10/2010 7:34:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,
fssturm at unm.edu writes:

On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:57 PM, _paulrevenkojones at aol.com_
(mailto:paulrevenkojones at aol.com)   wrote:

My  question has more to do with actual cause and actual effect and the
relationship of the two. I don't believe you're imagining anything any more
than I know that I'm not when I experience the same thing. Our attempts to
describe what actually happens to the string and the termination  as
cause/effect are on-going? We can certainly say that the string  has a different
shape, and that we experience a tonal difference,  but is it simply a string
condition difference? That's my  question.

My  take is that it has to do with the distortion of the string being
reflected  back "at the bridge pin." The standard model of what happens when a
hammer  strikes a string is that a distortion is propagated along the string
toward  the bridge, then reflected back (actually two distortions, one of
which goes  back to the capo or whatever, but let's keep it simpler). Let's
suppose the  string was just pulled through the bridge with no massaging, and
that a  curvature extends in front of the bridge pin. The distortion of the
string  arrives, and there is, shall we say, ambiguity about where the string
ends and  the bridge (or pin or bridge plus pin) begins. The reflection
backwards is  diffused, parts happening sooner, parts later. Also, the impulse
hitting the  pin is diffused, less periodic than desired (especially after a
few back and  forth reflections). Adding the bend gives more geometric
definition to the  termination, hence a more precise and periodic impulse
hitting the bridge/pin.
Of course, it  is never simple, and the closer you hone in, the less simple
it becomes. The  string's impulse/distortion never actually reflects at the
tangent of the pin.  It reflects behind it (the string, from a functional
point of view, extends  from somewhere toward the back side of the bridge pin
to somewhere beyond the  capo or agraffe tangent point). So we shouldn't
think we are really making  something _precise_ when we make a positive bend.
We simply make it somewhat  more precise. We also perhaps reduce the degree
to which the vibration travels  beyond the front and back _terminations_ by
making the wire stiffer at that  point (the work hardening caused by
bending).
Anyway, this  seems to me to kind of explain the way in which the pitch and
tone color  becomes more focused following making those bends. That's how I
picture it to  myself, and I haven't yet heard something to make me believe
differently. But  maybe someone else has a different take.
BTW, I wonder  if making positive bends on both sides of the bridge might
reduce the tendency  of string to pass back and forth over the bridge.
Perhaps a little.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico