[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jan 2 14:38:05 MST 2010

On Jan 2, 2010, at 1:28 PM, David Love wrote:

> Only with an ongoing dialogue with all parties do
> you have a chance to explain the ramifications of choices that they
> make.

	Yes, I think the real key to a good working relationship is
communication. It doesn't matter what the administrative setup is if
you aren't communicating - and, of course, that's a two way street,
and the other side also needs to be communicative (it is certainly
possible to have an administrator who is "utterly impossible," though
I tend to believe that there is almost always some way to make things
work, if you are willing to go to the effort).
	Looking at the issue of the way things are organized, and from an
employee (not contract) perspective, I do believe there needs to be a
clear structure in place. Actual day to day function can vary from the
chain of command model, but there does need to be a chain of command
in the background. Otherwise, the caut is working for everyone and for
no one.
	I have a pretty good situation, in that I work directly under the
supervision of the department administrator and the chair of the
department. Neither is a micromanager, and both expect me to do my
work independently and simply to take care of things. If something
arises, they consult with me or I with them. I fill requests of
faculty and students to the extent possible within my discretion, but
the chair and administrator serve as a buffer if needed. And they will
stand up for me if things get out of hand (if some faculty member is
unreasonably over-demanding, for instance).
	The key is positive personal relationships. I have no chip on my
shoulder, and simply present the situation as it is. I have so many
hours and so much money available. If I focus on some project, it
means taking time from something else. I make it clear that we are at
a point of balance, which can pretty much be maintained indefinitely,
though I am always trying to nudge things in an upward direction.
	Given the resources, having every piano in tune at all times is
unrealistic, and this is pretty clear to everyone - everyone has to
suffer to some extent, temporarily, at certain times of year. Skimping
on tuning makes other sorts of prepping possible, and faculty and
students have seen a gradual rise in the quality of prep over the
years, so they appreciate that. Everyone knows they can approach me,
and that I will try to accommodate their needs if it is possible. And
they accept the fact that it sometimes isn't possible.
	Personally, I'd far rather be a part of the department than, say, an
adjunct of physical plant, which sends people over to fix plumbing,
HVAC and lighting, etc.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico