[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 2 16:55:41 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

> Jeff-
>
> After many years of this dialogue, I think it's time you just told us
> exactly what you want!
>
> Ed Sutton

I guess after many years of trying to convince everyone how to improve the
salaries and working conditions for CAUTs who aren't in the Disneyland job
situations, when I see an idea that either makes sense or confirms that the
problem hasn't gone away, I feel like I need to comment.

Fred, all that person needs to be is your mediator. He/she would understand
from you what is different about performance pianos vs practice room pianos.
He/she offers the "this is what it costs for this level of service, #2 is
what it costs for #2 level of service, if you want after hours service, the
cost is 1.5 per hour with a 3 hour minimum, etc..." and the administration
better understands that it gets what it pays for, rather than setting a
salary for an individual and not being able to understand why he or she
can't do the work of 3 people. Protections would be in place for the
employee that do not exist in a system where the technician answers directly
to a music administrator. That mutual respect thing doesn't work very well
when you're the guy working through 3 bosses every 7 years, each of whom has
different priorities, or as in Israel's case, would be one a year if he
didn't have the mechanism in place that is there.

I was just commenting that I thought that sounded like a better scenario to
me.
Jeff