[CAUT] Recording a tuning

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:32:17 MST 2010

Hmm, not a hypothetical question to me:

Parallel intervals played chromatically, both fast-beating and slow beating, perhaps P12th and M17th. If beat rates are heard clearly, this demonstrates both temperament and unisons.

Filled in triple octaves played chromatically (that is,  A0-A1-A2-A3 followed by A#0-A#1-A#2-A#3, and so on). Clean sound up the keyboard demonstrates coherent uniform stretch.

A C major arpeggio followed by C# major arpeggio, D major, D# major, E major, if played to the top of the keyboard will hit every note of the piano above the low C on which you started. Sustain with damper pedal to demonstrate overall (hopefully clean) effect of the tuning.

Arpeggiated chord of nature played up chromatically, sustained with the damper pedal. Demonstrates overall effect of tuning and, as well,  high unisons and stretch in the high treble.

Kent