[CAUT] Pianoforte pitch

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 23 14:25:28 MST 2010

Modern built "Regier" pianoforte.   I'm having a brain lapse, since I rarely tune ours.  Just A= ?

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Jan 23, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Laurence Libin <lelibin at optonline.net> wrote:

I don't understand the question. Do you mean a so-called fortepiano, wood-framed, 18th or early 19th century? If so, the pitch depends on its date and location, since pitch wasn't standardized. Florence in 1720 differed from Vienna in 1820. New replica or antique? Often, old ones are best tuned below their originally intended pitch for structural and conservation reasons. Iron strings or modern steel wire? Lots of factors to consider.
Laurence

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>