[CAUT] Tune Lab P12ths/Octaves morph approach

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 30 12:26:40 MST 2010

Hi again David.

I'll just do a real quick version of this as I am preparing an article
on the subject that will explain my present approach much better.

I do use Tunelab yes... but I think you can accomplish basically the
same thing with Sat... and Cypertunner for that matter... tho Tunelab
makes it real easy to do this kind of thing.

I rely on a kind of template default P-12ths priority. In Pocket Tunelab
I edit the partials table so that all notes from A1 to E6 are set to the
3rd partial. From F6 up tunelab does not allow the 3rd partial...so I
let those notes stay on the fundemental.  Below A1 the table has the 6th
partial... but I never use these directly.

I sample A2, A3, A4, & A5 and D2, D3, D4 & D5 and generate the curve.
The curve uses the 3:1 setting for both the bass and treble regions.

Its important to remember this is just a template for the sampled
instrument.  From D3 to G#4 I do pretty much tune exactly what the
machine says... but all notes outside this are <<suspect>>.

That said... essentially I tune in chromatic order both the above named
region along with octaves below and 12ths above to the note in that same
D3 to G#4 range.  Remembering that at all times I am looking at the
third partial for this range this means that the octave below defaults
to a perfect 6:3 octave and the 12th above defaults to a perfect 3:1
12th. This approach includes the pianos inherent inharmonicity in all
respects because the curve is generated after sampling to begin with and
secondly I am direct referencing all intervals.

For example D3's 3rd is set to a frequency of 440. Tuning A4 and D2 to
this same yields the above mentioned relationships.

To refine and check other relationships as I go I use Tunelabes partial
switcher. For example again on D3... I can switch to the second
partial.. confirm a motionless phase display and make sure the 4:2
octave is not unacceptable... and at the same time I can take a look at
the 5th BELOW D3 as its 3rd partial is coincident to D3's 2nd at the
fundemental of D4.  While I dont look so closely at this relationship at
this particular area of the tuning... I do exactly that much lower which
allows me to make sure that all 4:2 and 6:3 octaves along with closely
related 3:1 12ths are all <<compatible>>.

In the treble I default at the outset to pure 3:1 12ths direct
referenced as described above.  Tuneing A4 to the D3 display yields both
notes relevant partials at exactly the same frequency. I like to switch
the display up an octave and then up a second octave  and see how the
resultant A4 is going to work with notes yet to be tuned. Switching D4
on the display and playing A4 shows how A4 is going to work as a 5th
with D4 (when that gets tuned). Switching the display D4 gives me a look
at how it will work with the fourth above... and as I progress I can use
this same to get a good idea of how notes being tuned function as
octaves and double octaves as well.

It all adds up to using a template based on P-12ths utilizing the 3rd
partial all the way along with direct referencing of notes to accomplish
a kind of visual multi-partials tuning. All the way I make sure that the
  3:1, 4:2, 6:3 and in the higher regions the 2:1 are all compatible
with each other visually... and I finish with various aural checks to
confirm this compatibility.

Remembering that all this is based on an old aural test for double
octaves.. which essentially leans in the same direction... it should
become clear with a bit of practice what this is about and why it works
so well.  That aural test simply takes a major third below any given
note as the control note and compares both the major third, the 10th and
the 17th.  Throwing in the major 6th above the control note allows a
test for the P12th by comparing that with the 17th.  Morphing all these
together for the best fit is either done aurally by listening to beat
rates as best one can... or can be done by direct referencing the
relevant frequency of the coincident partial in question.

Either way... finishing with a run through of listening closely to the
overall combined sound... a kind of Virgil Smith approach to confirm all
is well.... makes for a very fine tuning.

It may sound time consuming... but with a bit of practice this goes
fast.  I typically use 70 minutes tops for a complete concert tuning..
90 for a minor pitch change.

Cheers
RicB