[CAUT] restring or just repin

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Jun 2 02:43:41 MDT 2010

Hi Greg,
I Know what you mean about it seems fairly new, but The conditions and lights and constant tuning. People leaving the load in door open. It can go from 20 % to 50 % humidity over night and back again. I think you get the picture.I wouldn't mind trying CA glue as a last resort , but I would rather repin.I am using a standard torque wrenck for piano tek. It measures 5lbs-10lbs on the dial.My other Steinway is 90-100lbs.This is the reading when we put the wrench on the pin and go counter clockwise, like tuning down so we know the holding force. I guess my main question is should I restring it even if the strings are OK? I personally think yes but would like some back up on this.
Thanks
Dan

Dan

If you have the time and the money, replace the strings. If you don't plan it that way, you might wind up replacing just a few strings, and that will make for an unstable piano.

Wim