[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:38:47 MDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Mark Cramer wrote:

> 1.) Overly aggressive needling (trying to make them sound like
> something they are not) that de-stabilizes the hammer and shortens
> it's life span.

	This sentence caught my eye. In my experience, the "overly
aggressive" tag and associated destabilization and shorter life span
applies to the "stab" technique of needling as opposed to the "press"
technique. By stab I mean rapid strokes where the needle tip is moving
before it touches felt. Pressing is where the needle point is on the
felt surface, and it is then fairly rapidly pressed into the felt.
IMO, stabbing tears far more fibers, destroys the resilience of the
hammer, and usually fails to open up the interior of the hammer.
Pressing also tears fibers, but less of them, and has more of a
spreading effect on the interior felt. Also, when pressing you can
feel the hammer fibers far better, control where the needles go far
more precisely, and get considerably more consistent depth of
penetration. It may seem slower at first glance, but in the long run,
it takes less time because you can do what you do far more
consistently. Hence there is much less custom work later on individual
hammers to even things out.
	I hate to work on hammers that have been "stab voiced" because the
outer layers are torn and the inner layers are too dense. The outer
layers will not hold onto the tension released by deep needling. The
hammers tend to sound dead, and lack bloom and progression of color.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm