[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sat Jun 5 10:09:06 MDT 2010

I agree that using needles requires that the technician develops a
feel for how the needles are going in.  If I find I have trouble
getting a three needle voicing tool to penetrate to the depth I want,
I use a single needle and I press the needle in.  Also my particular
voicing tool has adjustable needle depth giving me lots of choices
there, too.  Secondly, a technician needs to know that there are
gradations of force that can be employed.  The most aggressive would
be one that I first learned in one of Laroy Edwards' classes.  He
advocated stabbing the three needle tool hard into the felt, so hard
that the needles bottom out and the base of the voicing tool slams
into the hammer felt as the needles stab to full depth into the
felt.  He said that technique not only opens the felt with the
needles, but shocks the felt as well.  The opposite extreme, is
carefully pressing one needle slowly in.  The technique and
aggressiveness that will work best is determined by feel.   It's
useless to pummel a hammer if the needles bottom out easily with
hardly any pressure.  Likewise using three needles that won't go in
to the depth needed, may not get good results due to lack of
penetration depth.  One needle might be better.

In summary, it's helpful to entertain a variety of needle insertion
choices that can be employed and make judgments based on the feel of
the needles going in.

Richard West