[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 5 14:26:45 MDT 2010

It may also be a matter of different strokes for different kinds of hammers.

I prefer the smooth push approach, and I mostly have used Abel and Abel
Natural hammers. With the Abel Natural hammers, I feel a kind of flowing
feeling as I needle up the shoulder and the felt opens. Similar with Abel
regular hammers, but it takes more effort. Even more effort with Renner
Blues, and less sense of the flowing open of the felt. I don't recall
getting that feeling on the most hard pressed hammers. Perhaps stabbing is
necessary on the harder hammers.

By the way, I do most of my needling in a hammer clamp on the bench top,
before boring, tapering and hanging the hammers. Much easier on the wrist!
The bench takes the pressure and there's no worry about protecting action
centers.

I wish someone would invent a stablizing clamp for needling hammers which
are already hung on the stack.

Ed Sutton