[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jun 11 22:03:47 MDT 2010

Jim Busby wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Remember Wally's class where he said an electron microscope
> showed that the very tip of a needle is about 30 times the
> size of a wool fiber diameter? This means simply that felt
> is cut  whether you stab or push. Mute point either way. Is
> that right?

Most likely. We can squint and intuit, and construct any
number of ways of looking at this based on nothing measurable,
until we're absolutely convinced that we have the psychology
of wool fibers down cold. Hey, if we can't intuit what the
molecules are thinking, the fibers ought to be an easier call,
right? In the end, we have an individual/s impression of what
seems to be happening for that individual, by that
individual's visualization of what may be the mechanism.
Personally, I don't know. I stab when I can't get needles into
a hammer by pushing, or am "roughing in", and push when I want
better fine control. I have no idea whatsoever how the wool
fibers fare in either case, and submit that no one else out
there does either.

I recently got the "opportunity" to voice down a Schafer &
Sons grand, to some semblance of tolerability. A hundred holes
in the shoulders didn't make a positive difference, nor did
another 50 closer to the crown. Side needling was equally
useless. I think I actually heard the holes in the hammer
whistle on a forte blow at one point. As a last ditch, I did
something I never do. I Vise-Gripped the suckers. What the
hell, they're already trash. After a dozen or so mashes per
hammer, I started getting something less hideous from them.
More mashing, and needles started to have a discernible
effect. Fluffing the pillow. Somewhere between what I'd like
to hear, and where it was after the first Gripping, I called
the play. It was generally conceded to be way less bad, which
was adequate for the first pass.

So... The mashing that actually made the net positive
difference from the original to the tolerable didn't penetrate
a single wool fiber. Does that make it a more desirable
approach than stab needling? As to the much less dramatic
changes resulting from the needling before and after the
mashing, I can't say.

So as to whether stabbing or pushing does or doesn't damage
felt fibers one more than the other, and what that means as to
hammer integrity and longevity, there doesn't seem to be any
real data.

I'd call it a do what feels right and produces the best result
tor the invested time sort of thing. You'll probably do more
good than harm in either case.
Ron N