[CAUT] steinway agraffs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 17 14:30:55 MDT 2010

Fred Sturm wrote:
> I agree with the screwdriver with the two points, but I have found that
> often I can persuade the stem out pretty easily with the point of an
> awl. Just find an irregularity in the surface, press the awl against
> that, and tap its end in the out direction. Or just press it in that
> direction. It is also possible to work from beneath (usually the holes
> are drilled all the way through, in which case you are pressing against
> the stem in the direction you want it to move - up - so it might be
> easier.

I've done it with an awl as well. Actually, I found two awls
worked better - one up and one down. It's really awkward, but
you get a more positive bite, and can balance the pressure on
the stud up and down so it'll turn easier. If it came up often
enough to be worth the trouble, I'd make two of the fish tail
screwdrivers and use them like that. Fortunately, it doesn't,
so I'll probably never know...
Ron N